UNHCR, the UN Refugee Agency, is a global organization dedicated to saving lives, protecting rights and building a better future for asylum seekers, refugees, internally displaced, returnees and stateless people. The operation in Mozambique has its main office in Maputo, field office in Nampula, and sub-office in Pemba. The incumbent will be based in Maputo. The working language in the UNHCR offices in Mozambique is English.
The Programme CBI Officer is an active member of the operation and manages and oversees the UNHCR cash assistance. The incumbent is responsible to ensure that CBI is compliant with the CBI policy, technical guidance and administrative instructions on CBI, in collaboration with the relevant multi-functional team (MFT) members. S/he will ensure the strategic and coherent use of CBI in UNHCR and monitor it adequately. S/he will ensure adequate coordination of all CBIs in line with the collaborative cash delivery principles and provide technical guidance on CBIs to UNHCR staff as well as per the New interagency model for cash coordination.
Internally the Programme CBI Officer will liaise with UNHCR country offices and/or Bureau and/or HQ. Externally, s/he will liaise with Implementing and Operational Partners, National Governments, line ministries, UN agencies, members of Cash Working Group, donors and other stakeholders.
The incumbent is expected to work in line with the multi-functional team (MFT), ensuring the participation of relevant stakeholders in all phases of the Program Management Cycle.
Please also note that engagement under a UNHCR affiliate scheme is subject to proof of vaccination against COVID-19.
– Promote cash assistance, and the strategic and coherent use of CBI, ensuring that CBI is maximised to meet protection needs, in assistance and service provision throughout the displacement cycle, including in emergencies.
– Promote and ensure linkages with social protection and financial inclusion.
– Provide technical support on strategic planning and policy making on activities within the area of CBIs, including assessments, planning and budgeting, technical choices, legal and regulatory aspects, implementation modalities, coordination and monitoring.
– Support to ensure that CBI is fully, effectively integrated into the country operations plan and protection and solutions strategies.
– Support and collaborate with protection and sectors to increase the use of CBI in e.g. protection, education, shelter, livelihoods, health and WASH programmes.
– Establish sound monitoring process for cash assistance. Analyse trends and interventions, including CBI expenditure, upstream and downstream activities. Ensure post distribution monitoring (PDM) is conducted regularly and in line with the relevant guidance.
– Ensure fluid communication and information exchange with key stakeholders internally and externally, and participate in relevant coordination and collaboration structures.
– Represent UNHCR in inter-agency coordination mechanisms and fora, promote and maintain collaborative cash arrangements and strong relations with partners and other key actors.
– Generate data and analysis for evidence-base, communication, and visibility.
– Organise and/or support CBI-related learning and capacity building, including organising trainings and learning events.
– Fulfil CBI-related reporting requirements.
– Support the use of UNHCR Cash Assist.
– In close collaboration with the Senior Management and under their leadership, ensure the functioning of the CBI component of the Multi-Functional Team (MFT).
– Ensure CBI is implemented according to UNHCR’s policies, rules and processes.
– Ensure CBI is included in the preparedness and response planning, and prepare UNHCR to be the first responder to new emergencies/ and return situations with CBI.
– Conduct required assessments to ensure optimal CBI design.
– In collaboration with Finance, establish CBI Standard operating procedures (SOPs) for the operation, and coordinate the review with RB and final clearance with HQ. Support partners in developing SOPs.
– Coordinate the implementation of CBI in accordance with the SOP, ensuring audit trail and proper accountability.
– Coordinate with Supply for timely procurement of financial service providers, including the technical evaluations and any other procurement related issues, as well as contracting of financial service providers.
– Perform other related duties as required.
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level:
6 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 5 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 4 years relevant experience with Doctorate degree.
Education: Certificates and/or Licenses:
Economics; Social Science; Political Science.
Business Administration; Social Economics or other relevant field
Relevant Job Experience:
Work experience in cash assistance and proven knowledge and technical skills in the set up, design, implementation, and monitoring of CBIs from a multisectoral and protection perspective.
Experience in interagency coordination.
Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
Teamwork & Collaboration
Commitment to Continuous Learning
Client & Result Orientation
Empowering and Building Trust
Judgement and Decision Making
Strategic Planning and Vision
External candidates: External candidates must meet the essential minimum requirements of the position and candidates not citizens of the country must comply with all eligibility requirements for employment in line with the prevailing legislative prerequisites in the country.
A competitive compensation and benefits package is offered. For information on UN salaries, allowances and benefits, please visit the portal of the International Civil Service Commission at: http://icsc.un.org
Submission of Applications:
Applicants are invited to apply online and complete the mandatory motivation letter. For help with logging in to the MSRP External Portal, or with online applications, please contact the HR Unit well before the deadline to allow sufficient time for any technical problem to be resolved. External vacancies are posted on the external UNHCR website – https://www.unhcr.org/careers.html – Careers – Career opportunities – Other Opportunities – Vacancies – sort by Location or search by Job Opening number.
Not signed, incomplete and late applications will not be accepted. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Shortlisted candidates will be required to sit for a written test and/or oral interview. UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview, processing or any other fees).
The evaluation of applicants will be conducted based on the information submitted during the application. Applicants must provide complete and accurate information pertaining to their personal profile and qualifications. No amendment, addition, deletion, revision or modification shall be made to applications that have been submitted. Candidates under serious consideration for selection will be subject to reference checks to verify the information provided in the application.
UNHCR strongly encourages qualified female applicants to apply. UNHCR seeks to ensure that male and female employees are given equal career opportunities. UNHCR is committed to achieving workforce diversity in terms gender, disability, marital or civil partnership status, race, color or ethnic and national origins, religion or belief, or sexual orientation. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidentiality.
UNHCR has a zero-tolerance policy against Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (SEA). SEA is unacceptable behavior and prohibited conduct for UNHCR personnel. It constitutes acts of serious misconduct and is therefore grounds for disciplinary measures, including dismissal. Any concerns or suspicions about a possible case of SEA should be reported immediately to the Inspector General’s Office (IGO) at firstname.lastname@example.org or through the online complain form at https://www.unhcr.org/php/complaints.php or by confidential fax: +41 22 739 73 80.
For any technical problems encountered during the online application, please send an email to the below email address titled “Online VA Query-your name and surname”. Human Resources Maputo email@example.com.