IOM is seeking a Psychosocial Support Assistant.
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Manager (MHPSS/Protection), in close coordination with Head of Sub Office and the direct supervision of the Programme Officer (MHPSS/Protection), the successful candidate will contribute to the implementation of IOM Mozambique’s projects in the area of Protection and MHPSS in Emergencies with a focus on the response to cyclone Kenneth.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities
- Provide individual and group counselling and general psychosocial services for displaced families and individuals in camps, transit centers, areas of relocation and hos communities;
- Identify severe mental health cases that require specialized interventions and refer them to local mental health institutions and/or specialists, including provision of transportation and admission costs, if required;
- Support patients with compliance with medical treatments, including support to families and caretakers;
- Carry out regular follow-up of beneficiaries referred to local mental health institutions and specialists;
- Coordinate the work of field level activists to facilitate timely and effective execution of programmes activities, equitable and appropriate allocation of tasks and responsibilities within the team, technical support and monitoring of community focal points and volunteers, as well as transparent and accountable use of allocated financial resources;
- Maintain regular liaison and coordination of activities with other IOM field teams such as Health, Shelter and CCCM to maximize the use of resources and ensure the delivery of integrated services;
- Provide technical support to local implementing partners in carrying on MHPSS community-based initiatives in resettlement sites and host communities including training sessions on Psychological First Aid (PFA) and family psychoeducation;
- Report on the activities and capacity building sessions conducted to the direct supervisor through clear and concise reports on weekly and monthly basis, as well as fill the program’s monitoring tools in accordance with structured reporting requirements;
- Provide administrative support to the MHPSS/Protection Officer for the efficient operation of the projects;
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the supervisor.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Psychology or Educational Psychology from an accredited academic institution with at least three years of relevant experience. Major in clinical or counselling psychology preferable, or
- Minimum completed High School degree with certification in computer science with at least Five years of relevant work experience
- Previous experience working in community-based MHPSS in emergencies and displacement, including providing Psychological First Aid (PFA) and family psychoeducation;
- Knowledge of the mental health system and institutions, and experience in working with mental health partners or programmes;
- Previous experience conducting individual and group counselling and focused psychosocial services, including treatment adherence counselling and support;
- Experience coordinating with NGO partners and/or field level activists/volunteers in implementation of activities;
- Experience in communicating and working with a wide range of people, including people of culturally diverse backgrounds;
- Previous working experience in an international organization and familiarity with the IOM/UN common system or similar systems is an advantage.
- Good communication, interpersonal and organizational skills;
- Ability to write clearly and concisely including activity reports;
- Demonstrated gender awareness and gender sensitivity;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously with colleagues from varied cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Ability to work under pressure;
- Personal commitment, efficiency, flexibility and drive for results;
- Ability to work effectively and harmoniously in a team with colleagues from various cultures and professional backgrounds;
- Proficiency in Office applications, including Word and Excel and internet explorer.
- Fluency in Portuguese is required (oral and written). Knowledge of English and local languages of Cabo Delgado province is desirable.
How to Apply
Please submit your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org , indicating the reference code above [(NAME, SVN/MZ10/2022/009 – Psychosocial Support Assistant)] as subject. The deadline for applications is 04 March 2022.