Novos Horizontes is currently seeking applications for an experienced Broiler Breeder Farm Manager with very strong technical production farming skills, strong and effective leadership abilities and a thorough understanding of modern poultry breeder farm operations. Primarily responsible for directing and coordinating breeder operations, ensuring delivery of quality product. This position directs and coordinates breeder operations to ensure the delivery of a quality product. Duties include scheduling, supervision, and evaluation of work as a unit manager.
Novos Horizontes is offering a prime role for energetic, dynamic person to join our team based in Nampula Province. The successful candidate will need to approach their job with integrity care and honesty. The successful candidate will have a proactive, enthusiastic, can do attitude to work and possess ambition and a desire to continue development within a world-class breeder operation to build an accomplished career in the poultry breeding industry. A key aspect of the role is the ability to drive continuous improvement in rearing and production processes, ensuring that biological performance of the breeding stock is maximize by following best practices in poultry management, bird welfare and bio-security procedures. The Broiler Breeder Farm Manager position is hands on and takes accountabilities for all aspects of farm management, quality and performance. You must be comfortable with handling animals. Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate a proven track record of success in the poultry industry and strong leadership and people management skills, along with previous experience of no less than 5 years in a Broiler Breeder Farm Manager position.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day management of the farm and its team.
Key Responsibilities & Tasks
- The day-to-day management of the farm, including animal husbandry and staff management;
- Maintaining a safe working environment and reporting on farm operations;
- Planning and prioritization of work and managing working hours, authorization;
- Ensuring performance, quality, animal welfare and cost objectives are achieved;
- General maintenance of all aspects of the farm;
- Ensuring all aspects of running the farm are met;
- Managing and motivating a team;
- Ensuring welfare of livestock and monitor farm conditions;
- Feed and ventilation management;
- Production performance & record keeping;
- Monitors and ensures that the adjustments of ventilation, drinkers, feeders, dead bird disposal and lighting adheres to best practices and standards;
- Monitors male spiking, fertility, hatchability, culling, and production percent;
- Monitors and tracks egg production & quality;
- Advises regarding best practices, policies and procedures, bio-security procedures, etc;
- Monitors bird weights and bird health and follows vaccination program;
- Review & implement strict bio security measures & enforce high standards of safety, cleanliness and maintenance on personnel and properties;
- Ensure the training of development of all Breeder Technicians;
- Oversee and manage assigned breeder operations, ensuring required quantity and quality of hatch eggs are available for hatcheries;
- Monitor pullet placements, moves, vaccinations and ensure hatch egg numbers;
- Provide performance and cost numbers to accounting and management;
- Ensure maximum operational and financial performance of the breeder farm business;
- Responsible for all associated field management activities administration of livestock record-keeping, upkeep of the fixed & movable property facilities associated with livestock production and husbandry of the animal assets;
- Monitor pullet and breeder flock health and adherence to blood testing procedures;
- Maintain pullet growing agreements and breeder flock agreements;
- Report farm issues to Senior Management as needed;
- All other duties as assigned.
Required Problem Solving Skills
- Ability to understand and interpret data while drawing logical conclusions based on available inputs;
- Critical thinking skills in standardized situations as well as non-routine problems;
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and prioritize work accordingly;
- Basic reasoning skills and carries out instructions furnished in written, oral and diagram form.
- Someone who is passionate, self-motivated, and incentivized by the opportunity of being the master of their own destiny with the ability to produce meaningful results;
- We are looking for candidates that can deliver a consistent output that requires more management support and guidance than micro-management in order to meet their key performance indicators;
- You must be well groomed, well-mannered and speak clearly and professionally. Reliability, honesty, and ethical values are absolutely necessary and non-negotiable.
You must be self-driven, highly motivated and display a high level of confidence.
Must have the following people skills:
- Service driven;
- Team player.
Pre-requisites Skills & Qualifications
- Must have good communication skills (English, Portuguese).
- A Bachelor Degree in Agriculture (Animal Production/Poultry Science) or related field from an accredited institution or 4 years equivalent education;
- Must possess the ability to work in a highly dynamic environment, under time constrains, and to a very high standard of accuracy.
- Minimum 10 years’ poultry breeder operational experience;
- Minimum 5 years’ supervisory/management experience within a similar environment;
- Good computer skills (Microsoft Word, Excel);
- High sense of organization and structure;
- Efficient on time management;
- Sound knowledge of breeder operations;
- Great communication skills and able to influence teams;
- Experience in managing poultry or similar livestock operation would be advantageous;
- Effective people management skills:
- Ability to carry out manual duties.
Specific Technical Skills and Personality Traits
- Integrity and honesty:
- Be physically fit;
- Be a team player whilst displaying leadership qualities;
- Work well with your hands;
- Be comfortable handling animals;
- Be attentive to detail;
- Be self-driven & take initiative:
- Be good with numbers;
- Be comfortable operating machinery and equipment:
- Ability to work independently and multi-task:
- Must demonstrate commitment and ability to work under pressure;
- Very meticulous and rigorous;
- Advanced poultry science knowledge.
- Demonstrated high level of initiative and ownership of projects.
- Ability to confront and manage through conflict situations with employees and contractors.
- High work capacity, dependable, results oriented and strong sense of urgency.
- Strong leadership and supervisory skills.
- Demonstrated success building effective teams with proven ability to lead by engaging and motivating a team and influencing an organization.
- Highly effective interpersonal communication skills sufficient to communicate and interact effectively with all levels within organization.
- Demonstrated advanced knowledge of math functions and skills.
- Advanced organizational skills, with attention to detail.
- Demonstrated sound work ethic, honesty and moral character.
How to Apply
Valid until: 25/02/2022.